The Foundation for Peace and Democracy (FUNPADEM) is a non-partisan, non-profit organization with more than 20 years of work in the construction of strategic actions for the promotion of human development in the Americas.
Since its foundation, the organization has been engaged in important issues such as trans-border cooperation, migration, human security, dialogue and negotiation; civil society participation, descentralization, gender issues and labor rights, among other topics.
To comply with its mandate, FUNPADEM has important relations with stakeholders such as civil society organizations, local governments, several global networks, governments, academia, international organizations, labor unions and business chambers.
We aspire to comply with actions that promote free, fair and just societies, based on the values of peace and democracy.
To achieve its goals, FUNPADEM bases its actions on values of ethics, equality and solidarity, principles that inspire and guide our work.
Therefore, we maintain our commitment to sustainable human development in societies through the promotion of freedom, pluralism, solidarity and the rule of law.
FUNPADEM was created in 1988 by Mr. Rodrigo Madrigal Nieto, former Minister of Foreign Affairs of Costa Rica. The organization’s birth coincided with the Peace Process signed by the Central American countries in 1987.
From 1988 to 1994, FUNPADEM formed initiatives that sought the training of diplomats and civil society leaders with an orientation towards dialogue, peace and integration in Central America. Thanks to aid provided by the Canadian government and in coordination with Costa Rica’s Ministry of Foreign Affairs, FUNPADEM established the Manuel María Peralta Institute.
Further actions sought to build initiatives that strengthened dialogue between nations in the region. Thus, with help from the Ford Foundation, trans-border cooperation projects began.
Since 1994, FUNPADEM adopted as its mandate activities and actions that strengthen Central American societies. In 2000, the organization acquired observer status at the Organization of American States, extending its presence across the Hemisphere.
In the last 10 years, FUNPADEM has successfully executed over 30 projects in Latin America, thanks to its highly qualified personnel from different professional backgrounds and nationalities. Additionally, through strategic planning and confidence in our accounting and administrative processes, FUNPADEM continues to comply with actions that advance peace and democracy in the Americas.
How we work
FUNPADEM has two permanent programs: “Participa”, and a Governance and Justice. All actions and projects are guided by these programs in coordination with the Executive Director’s office.
The Program is oriented towards the empowerment of citizens and civil society organizations in terms of democratic participation and the formation of public policy. Activities include the strengthening of civil society networks; the promotion of forums for dialogue between governments and civil society; consultation processes with social sectors; the promotion of citizen audits of institutions; and increasing the capacity building skills for several organizations.
Governance and Justice
The program is oriented towards strengthening democratic governance in countries, promoting social dialogue and peaceful conflict resolution, and constructing better mechanisms for integration processes. The program executes these actions through research, training and technical assistance to institutions, organizations and donors.
This program brings together projects that, because of their nature, cannot be integrated into the other two programs. Such initiatives can be translated into trade policies and commercial negotiations related to the integration and public participation, as well as transboundary issues, labor rights, gender or climate change.
Who we work with
FUNPADEM is an active member of several forums, networks, and initiatives that advance peace, human development and social justice in the Americas. For this reason, FUNPADEM is a member of the following networks:
- United Nations Global Compact
- Global Water Partnership (GWP)
- International Union for Conservation of Nature
- The Access Initiative (TAI)
- International Budget Partnership
- Inter American Democracy Network
- Active Democracy Network
- Regional Coordinator for Economic and Social Research ( CRIES- in Spanish)
- Central American Think Tank network- La RED
- Costa Rican Forum on Migration
Other Alliances and Agreements
Observer status at the Organization of American States
Agreement with the Association of European Border Regions (AEBR)
Cooperative Agreement with the Consultative Committee of the Central American Integration System (CC SICA)
Cooperative Agreement with the Central America Black Organization (CABO)
Cooperative Agreement with the Inter Parliamentary Forum of the Americas (FIPA)
Donors (Since 2008)
United States Department of Labor (USDOL)
United States Agency for International Development ( USAID)
United Nations Development Programme ( UNDP)
Central American Integration Support Program ( PAIRCA- In Spanish)
Inter American Development BANK ( IADB)
PACT WORLD INC
Canadian Parliamentary Center
Danish International Development Agency (DANIDA)
European Union Delegation in Costa Rica
How to help
FUNPADEM is financed mainly through funds from international development agencies. In partnership with social entrepreneurs, diverse projects have been set up in the Americas.
FUNPADEM guarantees the use of funds to comply with its objectives and initiatives, and reports accordingly to the National Comptroller Office, in accordance with the Costa Rican Foundation Laws.
Consultancy and services
The organization’s highly qualified staff accompanies the construction of strategies focused on aiding diverse sectors in society.
As part of its consultancy and services, FUNPADEM is involved in negotiation, consensus building, mediation, facilitation and conciliation services in conflicts.
As part of our commitment with the youth, our internship program provides university students with the opportunity to participate in our internship program, working with our staff and projects.
"The new world we want to reach, must not only be democratic; it must also be just. Justice and solidarity are inseparable from liberty and pluralism. Without them, democracy is a farce."
Rodrigo Madrigal Nieto
Publications (since 2009)
- Plan de Acción Juventud Afrocentroamericana
- Seguimiento de la Sociedad Civil a los compromisos adquiridos en las Cumbres de las Américas: Informe Costa Rica
- GOBERNABILIDAD AMBIENTAL: la participación de la sociedad civil en la gestión de los recursos naturales y el ambiente. Informe Centroamericano
- Perspectiva de la Sociedad Civil Centroamericana: Marco de referencia para la negociación, seguimiento y evaluación del Acuerdo de Asociación Unión Europea-Centroamérica
- Manual de Capacitación en negociación basada en intereses para conflictos colectivos.
- Cuaderno de lecciones aprendidas, buenas prácticas y casos exitosos del proyecto Cumple y Gana (disponible también en inglés)
- Protocolo de Inspección laboral de Guatemala
- Protocolo de Inspección laboral de El Salvador
- Protocolo de Inspección laboral de Honduras
- Protocolo de Inspección laboral de República Dominicana
- Memoria de Proyecto Entre Vecinos
- Serie de cuadernillos de trabajo migración e integración en CR: Estado actual y tendencias
- Revista Política Exterior del Instituto de Servicio Exterior, Manuel María de Peralta
- Situación de la participación de los pueblos afrodescendientes en los gobiernos locales de Guatemala, Honduras, Nicaragua, Costa Rica, Panamá y República Dominicana.
- Inspección de trabajo a establecimientos: Cobertura inspectiva, infraccionalidad laboral y cumplimiento patronal en sede administrativa
- El aguinaldo y el derecho a estar asegurado
- Security and Transnational organized crime ( Through LaRED)
- Worldwide Financial Crisis: Its economic and social impact in Central America ( Through La RED)
- Memoria de la Mesa Redonda: Fortalecimiento del Rol de los Legisladores en temas de Seguridad ciudadana en Centroamérica ( with Parlamentary Center and Rights and Democracy)